Friday, October 28, 2011

Donation Update

So I've been working the past couple of nights on my Dark Angles commander that my buddy gave me. I think he is coming along very well.

So the other night, I painted and washed his cloak. It started as all my linen does with Astronomicon Grey then Bleached Bone and finally a Gryphonne Sepia. The purity seals were done the same way except they had Skull White applied before the wash.

The feathers were a bit of a chore. They got Astronomicon Grey, then Skull White. I tried to put some Badab Black wash in the recesses, but it made the feathers look muddy and grey, so after the wash was dry, I dry brushed it with another layer of Skull White. I think they look pretty good.

One thing I would like to point out is my Gold. I don't paint a lot of gold because I don't really like GWs gold paints. They are very blotchy and I have a hard time working with them. But this time I think I did a pretty good job. I started with Scorched Brown and then followed it up with a couple of layers of Shining Gold. Next a couple of layers of Burnished Gold. Lastly I did a bit of edge highlighting with Chainmail and then a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. I think it looks particularly good on the belt buckle and on the edge of the shoulder pad.

The red of the Dark Angles sword on the cloak, I'm not 100% happy with. I started with Mechrite Red, and then another layer of Gore Red. I then highlighted with Blood Red and Fiery Orange before washing it with Baal Red. I didn't do the best of jobs keeping inside the lines, and it looks a bit messy. I'll have to go back and do some touch ups on the cloak.

All-in-all this guy is coming along very well. I just need a few little bits and the body is done. Then I'll have to tackle the backpack and banner.

1 comment:

  1. Looking neat. Incidently, I'm currently working on the same model these days. You can come have a look at the Tale of Painters blog! :)