Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Space Wolf Update? Oh My!

After a long time without painting anything Wolfie, I am back to painting my Space Wolves. I haven't done a whole lot yet, but it is a start.

First thing first, I have started working on my Wulfen. These guys have been primed, base coated, and high lighted. In addition, they all have completed bases. All I have done with them today is to wash them in Asurmen Blue. Tomorrow I plan on going over the red and yellow (god I hate yellow).

The two things I love most about the Wulfen are the heads from Maxmini. these really make these guys bestial. The second thing is the chain axes. I want those to represent the fact that these dudes do rending attacks. I know in the book it says they attack with their teeth and claws to get the rending, but this is how I am going to represent it. It is also another thing that lets the minis stand out from the crowd.


I have also re-started work on my scouts. I really like playing with the scouts, and the old metal wolf scouts are one of the few times where I like the old 3rd (or 2nd?) edition metal models more than the new plastics.

So I have been buying up old metal wolf scouts from ebay (there are a lot of them out there). The only thing I didn't like was the fact that pretty much all of there heads are exactly alike. So I pulled out the dremel and cut off their metal heads. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, but I did it and most of my conversions look pretty good. I used the wolf scout heads from the Grey Hunter/Blood Claw box set, plus some chaos marauder heads. I will have more pictures of them when I finish them.



It is hard to see, but what I have there is two plasma pistol dudes. Two dudes with chain swords sure they are supposed to be kinda stealthy, but they are space wolves! Next up are pretty much the raison d’ĂȘtre for the Wolf Scouts, two meltaguns. Then I have four dudes with combat knives, two guys with axes, that I will use as power weapons if I choose to take them, then two Wulfen, and finally a single plasma gunner (I need another one). 

I have decided that I am going to change up the color scheme a bit on my Wolf Scouts. Their carapace armor is going to be the Space Wolf blue/grey and their pants are going to be khaki. I'll also be going their boots in a dark brown (hopefully) leather-looking color. 

Last and certainly not least, as you can see lurking in the picture above is Skeld from the Gone to Ground give away! He is painted awesome, and my crappy photo-fu does him no justice. His colors are a bit off from the way I paint, but I will just attribute that to the fact that he is a Lone Wolf, and that's just how he rolls. I can't wait to throw this guy at my buddy's Imperial Guard army. I want to see how much fire he can soak up!

1 comment:

  1. That dremmel work is great, man. You can't tell that a head swap was even made. Those Maxmini heads are positively beastly too! They make some awesome wulfen.

    ReplyDelete