Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Audio Book Review: Throne of Lies

Insert obligatory rant about the price of the Black Library audio books versus the word count of the stories. 

Throne of Lies continues the tale of Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords. It takes place not long after the book Soul Hunter. In this story the Night Lords are looking for a Hololith that contains the death of their Primarch.

Its been a while since I read Soul Hunter, so I don't quite remember why exactly they are looking for it, but by gum they are!

The beginning of the story we have a very cool bit about an Imperial assassin on a world that has succeeded from the Imperium of Man. Some very cool stuff in that bit right there.

The Night Lords gain information about the location of this hololith and they set about bringing the entire legion to the world where it is stored. Please think about that for a moment. The ENTIRE legion.

One thing that I think is just starting to dawn on me is that when most of the traitor marines fled after the Siege of Terra, most of the legions splintered into different war bands and many of them don't get along even though they are former brothers.

The end of the story is puzzling to me. From the way it was written I think something shocking was supposed to be revealed, but I don't think I understand what it is.

This wasn't badly written but it really didn't seem like a WOW book either. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had understood the plot twist at the end. I'll have to read Soul Hunter again.

I give this three Chaos Droppods out of five.

1 comment:

  1. As far as the audio books go - I really enjoyed this one alot. Of course I am a huge fan of this series so far - so that might have something to do with it!

    ReplyDelete