Monday, March 19, 2012

Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought: WiP 3

This guy is 99% complete, and I think he is looking pretty spiffy. 



It has been a while since I have posted about this guy, so I'm going to go back over where this guy came from. He started out as one of the now OOP Space Marine Venerable Dreadnought. I liked the look of this monster when it first came out, but there were a few things I wasn't so pleased with. Firstly I didn't like the power fist. It really didn't look very Space Wolf-y to me. For the longest time I was planning on using some Forge World MK IV CCW, and I did for one of my Dreads, but then with the Grey Knight army, I had bought a Blood Angel Dread and decided to use the Blood Talons for the CCW. 


The other thing I didn't like were all of the bones in "shrines" on the legs. Now while the Space Wolves are not averse to decorating themselves with bones, I just didn't like the look and wanted my VenDread to look different from all of the 1000s of other VenDreads that I assumed would be out there (to date I think have seen like three of these monsters on the board). so I used Green Stuff to fill in the shrines and I decided I would do something with them later. Well i still haven't I thought that maybe I would paint them red or yellow and then maybe put some runes in those areas. Perhaps some runes from Secret Weapon Miniatures.



So here is a side view of the old guy. Again I took off the shrine from the army and replaced it with something wolf-y. I think the blood talons look great (except for where I forgot to file off the blood drops).


On this side, you can see where I changed the tabard on the assault canon to be a wolf pelt. i don't know if looks really good, but I like it.


And a back view. Boy there is a lot of silver on the back of this guy, but I actually like the contrast from all of the gold on the front of the mini.


Two down, two to go!

1 comment:

  1. Looks nice! He's a bit blue for my tastes, but it's nice to see the old dreadnought getting some love and making the table.

    I never knew he was that much bigger than a normal dreadnought either.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete