Wednesday, May 18, 2011

8 Foot of Chainsword Lovin'!

So I finished up my Gabriel Seth. I debated before on my misinterptation of the Flesh Tearers paint scheme. I decided to keep Gabe (me and him are close like that) in the chapter colors, but after hearing the nice couple of comments I received (thanks guys), I decided that the marines I painted earlier are now part of the Flesh Tearers 4th Company, and that company has black arms.

Well to tell the truth, I don't even know if the Flesh Tearers follow the Index Astartes closely enough to have companies, or whether they have enough feet on the ground to field four companies, but in my world, those five guys are a combat squad from the 4th Company. So there.


Anywho. I am pretty pleased with Seth. I, as always, am shooting for more than just table top quality. I'm going for good table top quality.

I went with my blue wings again just as I did with the assault squad. I like the effect the blue wash has on the white undercoat. I also think that a couple of spots of blue and green from the purity seals breaks up all of the red very nicely.



For Gabe's head, I started out with Tallarn Flesh and went over that with Dwarf Flesh and then put on a wash of Ogryn Flesh, but that was WAY to tan. Like spray-on tan, tan. So I went back and did a dry brush of bleached bone and then a dry brush of Dwarf Flesh and it came out pretty well. One thing of note, this is the first time I have ever painted the teeth of a mini. I'm not sure I like it, or that I did a very good job. I just don't think I have the muscle control for that detail work. Probably doesn't help that I'm using cheap-ass Hobby Lobby brushes.


Another thing I'm not 100% sure on is the cloak. I started this with Astronomicon Grey to get a nice cover. I was going to follow that up with bleached bone and then a wash, but that is pretty much how I do the paper on the purity seals, and there are some purity seals sitting on the cloak, so I wanted them to be different. So I went over the Astronomicon Grey with Deneb Stone, and then washed the hell out of it with Devlan Mud. I'm not sure what it looks like, but I'm not 100% sure I like it. I'll probably keep it for a while until I get sick of it. Perhaps by that time, I'll have some more skills under my belt and I can try a different technique.


Anywho, here is a picture of the whole gang. I will probably fill this out to a full squad of 10. I'd like to do a sergeant with Lightning Claws. I think that would look good.


1 comment: