Saturday, March 12, 2011

Book Review: Blood Gorgons

So I finished Blood Gorgons a few days ago, and I gotta say, its a good book!

I was kinda down on Henry's Zou's second book, "Flesh and Iron," and althought I haven't written a review for it, I thought his first book, "Emporer's Mercy," was kinda, "meh," but for me at least, third time really is the charm!

This book tells us about a Chaos Space Marine warband named the Blood Gorgons. These guys were founded and excommunicated all within one generation (not sure if that is human generation or Space Marine generation, which could be a really long time) and in the couple thousdand years since that time, they have been raiding the imperium.
I'm usually not a big fan of the bad guys, but I really liked this book. Mr. Zou does a good job of giving the whole warband a character so that they are not, "kill kill kill." I really like that these guys feel like "just guys". Mr. Zou has created his own Chapter/Warband, but didn't do what most people do and make them all powerful. they have a "patron" daemon, but he is rather a weak daemon and considered rather laughable by some of the big hitters in the warp.

So anyway, this book starts with a pretty major shake-up in the Blood Gorgon's hirearchy and one of their, "chattle" worlds is being threatened by xenos. This doesn't sit well with the Blood Gorgon's so they send some marines down, but things go bad from the start. We see most of the story from the point of view of Barsabbas. He becomse a one man killing spree as all good (or in this case evil) Space Marines should be. Some of the action is a little bit over the top, but I think it does make for a good tale.

As I've been saying all along, Henry Zou does an excellent job with action, it has been plot and character development that I have had a hard time with in his previous books. Here, he seems to overcome that. If he keeps writing books about the Bastion Worlds, I would love for him to revisit the Blood Gorgons, but if he does not, I hope that the next books will be as well written as this one.

I give this book four swapped organ's out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment