Monday, March 21, 2011

And Now For Something Completely Different

I've been feeling a bit discouraged lately with GW. I am really getting down on their release schedule. I've been a bit bored. I think someone was looking out for me because it seemed that almost all of the podcasts I listen to on a regular basis did some stuff with Warmachine all within the same month. The game seems pretty intriguing, but really, I'm just looking for something different.


So after looking around a while, I picked up the Khador (Kay dor, or Ka-dor???) box set on ebay. I gotta say I am really liking the change of pace. I've only painted the one Juggernaught, but it was been fun. Privateer gets a lot of detail in there,but I am really enjoying the large flat surfaces. It just seems like a fun model to paint.

And they really were. I really like the red I got here. It is much darker in real life than in the picture. I started with GW Mechrite Red, and then painted Gore Red over that. Then I used Khador Red over that and then highlighted with Khador Red Highlight. I had some fun with washes on the metal parts. I used Gryphonne Sepia for rust and Badab Black for general details. All in all I think they turned out well.

I had some fun with these kits. They are fully magnetized, so I can take the arms off and take the torso off. I have heard that it is much easier to paint if you can take these bits apart so I made sure I could.

I was trying to get it so that if I get the heavy warjack kit, I can swap arms and create which ever 'jack I want, but I think I did my magnets on the arms incorrectly. Oh well I had a fun evening of hobby putting the magnets in there.
Along with that hobby, I think on the Destroyer I am going to drill out the barrel a bit to give it a bit more depth. I think it'll be fun.

Now since the first box set, I have also picked up a box of Widowmakers as I think they look pretty cool as well, and I'm sure they'll be more intricate than the Warjacks. Also I am looking forward to drilling out their barrels with my pin vise. I don't know why, but I enjoy it. Every single Bolter I own has been drilled out.

I think PP does a pretty good job with mold lines, although I did miss a couple on the feet and I didn't notice until I was painting the red.
Speaking of the red, someone on one of the podcasts mentioned that the PP Khador red is a lot better than the GW paint, and I have to disagree. I think they both cover like crap.

Anywho, I'm not sure if I will continue with these but they are a nice change of pace.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I bought the same battlegroup box a few weeks ago. I just wish someone had told me that plastic glue doesn't work on the Privateer Press models BEFORE I spent an evening trying to assemble them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even my super glue seemed to take longer than normal to set up on their plastic.

    ReplyDelete