Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Beginning of my Grey Knights army!

Finally, after a long friggin' time, I have started some serious work on my Grey Knights army. I bought these guys way back when, and now I have finally done some substantial work on them and have some pics to prove it.

This afternoon I broke out the air brush and sprayed some Boltgun Metal.


Now it isn't really fair to say I have been sitting on my thumbs with these guys. I have put magnets in all of the arms, and in all of the torsos, so the arms can be pulled off. One thing that is very nice is on the Venerable Dreadnought, because the torso comes in pieces, I actually put the magnets on the inside, and didn't have to do any drilling on the torso (not so much on the solid chunks of resin that are the Forge World dreads).

I am torn over whether or not I am going to put magnets in the waists so that I can pull the torso off if he gets killed. I have tried on other occasions to do this, but with very limited success, and in all cases I eventually just super-glued the torso to the waist. I think I might try it on one of the guys and if it doesn't work out, and say, "screw it" and just glue them.

Another thing I did with these dread bits was to straighten the barrels. When I got them from FW, they were  all crooked, so I had to fix them. I got a sauce pan out and filled it with water. Got the water to boil and then hold the thick end of the arms, I dunked it in the very hot water and held it in for a 5-one thousand count and then gently bent them into something that appears (to my eye) to be much straighter.


Along with the dreads, I spayed my Librarian. This Grey Knights Librarian was made from a Space Marine Librarian.


One of the things I like about this guy is that I cut his right arm off and slapped a Grey Knight arm on, so that he looks more like a Grey Knight and less like a regular Space Marine librarian.


One of the things I did when I cobbled this guy together is to cut off the, what I like to call, "use the force Luke" hand from the SM librarian and slapped it onto the GK arm. I think he looks pretty good.

Now I have to take a moment to say, that this conversion was made super easy because this model is a Finecast model, so hacking the arm off was easy. The bad thing about the Finecast was the large bubble on the cable of the force weapon. I tried to use some Liquid Green Stuff, but it didn't come out too well. Oh well, win some lose some.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoying your work so far, the conversion looks great I think dude

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Big Hello from your newest member.

    I recently came across your blog and just started to follow you, as I think it's great, so we might have a couple of things in common as I too have a hobby blog you might like to follow to at

    uniteallaction.blogspot.com

    So feel free to drop me a comment and hopefully become a member, keep up the good work. And hopefully I'll hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very curious to see what you are going to do with your "bandwagon knights" ;)

    Your librarian conversion is really well done, I didn't even spot the changes at first they look so natural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- it would seem blogger either agrees with me about your bandwagon knights, or doesn't approve of my comments, I'll let you decide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11643404/Screenshot.png

    ReplyDelete