Sunday, December 5, 2010

Book Review: Giantslayer

So I've had a special place in my heart for Gotrek and Felix from the first time I read about the two. I really enjoyed the second Omnibus, but for some reason I found it hard to start on the third one.

Well this last holiday weekend, my wife and I went to Pennsylvania and I brought this book with me, and boy am I glad I did.

The first book in this omnibus is called Giantslayer. This story starts immediately after Vampireslayer. It was funny as I was saying to myself that Gotrek and Felix had been kicking around with Snorri and Max for quite a long time, and BAM! things get shaken up early in the book.
Gotrek and Felix find themselves on the island of Albion and hanging out with Teclis the elf mage. I really enjoyed this shaking up of things for the simple reason that the interaction of Gotrek and Teclis is very well done. Teclis knows that his people are seen as haughty and standoffish, and next thing you know he is acting the way he knows is a stereotype of his entire race. Gotrek on the other hand, is just waying for a chance to avenge the war of the beard.

I also liked this book because it is the first time I have seen some in-depth fluff for the island of Albion. I'm sure there are some books out there that give some other details, but this is my first time reading about it.
While this is a really good book, it really seemed like it should have been called Chaosslayer or something up until the last chapter or two. While this is really just a minor draw back, I thought I might point it out as it will come into play when I review Orcslayer.

All-in-all a good book. I give it three Gotrek's running their thumb over their Rune Ax until a drop of blood runs down it, out of five.



No comments:

Post a Comment